KitchenHelper


Spinach Roti

I love Spinach and try to incorporate it in any way I can into my meals. When I saw the various wraps that are available here, I knew I could make them more healthy and desi by incorporating Indian ingredients and lil' spice into them. Here's how.
Sautee a bunch of spinach leaves with couple of cloves of garlic and about 2-3 chillies.

I cook the spinach mixture half way through and then puree the mix with as little water as possible. Then to this I added wheat flour, a teaspoon of ground cumin and a handfull of roasted sesame (Til) and mixed it together to get a dough. At the end I added a table spoon of vegetable oil (I used sunflower) and coated the dough with it. Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes.

Then I divided the dough to rough same size bits the sixe of a ping pong ball. Sprinkle some wheat floor onto the rolling surface and roll the ball into a round thin sheet with the aid of a rollin pin. You can add as much floor you need to keep the dough from sticking. With experience the amount of floor will decrease to a minimum. This is also the point where the consistency of the dough can be judged by a novice. If the dough is too sticky, knead more floor into the dough. If it cracks as you roll, knead a little oil/water into into the dough.

Gently lift the thinly rolled dough onto a medium heated pan (if you hold your hand above the pan you should be able to feel the heat but still be bale to hold your hand above the pan). Cook for 2-3 min and then flip over. Cook through. Oil (or Ghee) the partially cooked side and flip over. Repeat with the other side gently pressing on to the surface. The chapati should poof up.


Remove onto a cooking sheet and let it cool. Serve with dal, pickle and some yogurt. You can use this for wraps, too.
If you are like me, then kneading dough and cleaning up everyday would not be your cup of tea. So do what I do. Cook all the rotis and cool them Stack them on to of each other with a layer of parchment paper in between, put in ziplock bags and freeze them (make sure to put date on the bag). Thaw as per need and heat it through before eating.

6 Responses to “Spinach Roti”

  1. # Blogger Jessica

    Oh my gosh this looks awesome! I will have so much fun with this and you have great photos too! What's the approx. amount of wheat flour you use? A cup or so?  

  2. # Blogger ~Lord Anshul

    ohh...u know wat..this is way too tough for me..but i'll ask my mom to read it nd make it for me :D  

  3. # Blogger Sakshi

    @ Jess -
    About a cup. I generally add as much as flour needed to make it into a firm dough.
    @ Anshul- This is not difficult. Abe sikh. Biwi jaldi pat jayegi :-)  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    hey the photos convinced me that you really do that :)Yummy...will tell ur mom that i actually saw u cooking... lol...
    I make the puree as well as the dough in a food processor.Puree the spinach.add all ingredients in the food processor and run the processor on 1(that's the minimum speed. It takes only 5 mins and you can make soft parathas immediately, no need to keep the dough for some time...I am alwsys in a rush so....  

  5. # Blogger Sakshi

    Thanks Madhuli. Now if you could taste it as well...
    I have to buy a food processor. Never got around to that. As I have a tiny ass kitchen, I try to keep the gadgets to smaller size too.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey can I come over and taste it too.
    will give it a try soon. I will soon send u the tip I was talking to U about.  

Post a Comment


Web This Blog


XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 KitchenHelper | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.