KitchenHelper


« Home | Kitchen Tips »

Chicken in a fix

My aunt gave me one of the best tips for quick and easy meals when I came to the US. When she heard about my busy schedule, she advised me to start buying Rotesserie chicken at the local food mart and then use the pre-cooked meat to dish up 2-3 meals. I usually buy the smallest chicken on sale ( around 2-3 lbs.) and then use it for a couple lunches and dinners. There are various flavors about, so experiment to find the one that suits your palate. A healthy tip - Remove the skin from the chicken and eat the white meat.
So over the weekend I bought a Rotesserie chicken and here's what I plan on doing with it:
Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
I shredded the chicken breast and added a hot, spicy garlic barbecue sauce (this one is from a local barbeque place but you can buy one from the ketchup section at your deli or from your favorite restaurent). I heat the meat through by placing it in a pan over medium heat. Remember the meat is already cooked, so don't leave it for long. I generally serve it on whole wheat buns/ multi grain bread with a side of mashed potatoes/ coleslaw or baked beans. You can save time by buying the sides at your deli.
Honey Mustard/Avocado Chicken Hoagie
Take a whole wheat baguette and slice horizontally. To one half, add shredded chicken meat, honey mustard (You can substitute your favorite mustard here), sliced avocado and Pepper jack or Swiss cheese. Put this under the broiler till the cheese melts and then add top of baguette and serve warm. Serve with cold ice tea.
And a good supper dish could be a Chicken and Sausage Gumbo,
4 oz. kielbasa (polish sausage), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cups roasted skinless chicken breasts (I used the meat from a rotisserie chicken)
1 Tablespoons flour
1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (frozen will do)
1/2 cup okra (frozen will do)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper or more
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 /2 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes w/peppers & onion (re-freeze rest with label and date)
1 /2 can chicken broth (I use the re-sealable pour cans)
PREPARATION:
1. In a Dutch oven over med-high heat, combine the flour and oil and sauté for about 3 minutes. 2. Add the onion, green pepper, okra, celery, thyme, ground red pepper and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Stir in the kielbasa, chicken, tomatoes and broth and cook 6 minutes or until thouroughly heated.
4.Serve over cooked rice.

These recipes were found online, unfortunately I did not write down the name of the site/ cook down then.

2 Responses to “Chicken in a fix”

  1. # Blogger ~Lord Anshul

    whoa !!
    sonds yummy !! but too much of effort..
    and more thn anything else..i wont even have half the stuff you mentioned in my kitchen...  

  2. # Blogger Sakshi

    If that is too much of an effort, Anshul... I don't know what to say.
    But I know you don't get rotessiere chicken in India (at least while I was there) and baking one takes time.
    But I will start posting other meals now.  

Post a Comment


Web This Blog

Latest



XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 KitchenHelper | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.